Even on a hot day AridDek stays cooler than other deck board options, leaving it free for everyone to enjoy.
How hot does Wahoo aluminum decking get in the sun compared to other dock decking?
Understandably this is a frequent question when it comes to aluminum decking; no one wants to worry about scorching their bare feet on a hot summery day. So, on a hot day in Georgia, Wahoo Decks set out to find this answer by testing the temperature of AridDek aluminium decking compared to other common decking board options.
- 90 +/- degrees Fahrenheit
- AridDek Aluminum Deck
- Capped Composite
- Wood/Plastic Composite
- Solid PVC
- Ipe Brazilian Hardwood
- Pressure Treated Pine
Watch the video below to see what happens!
[iframe width=”420″ height=”315″ src=”//www.youtube.com/embed/ATuMkMNaF4g?rel=0″ frameborder=”0″]
Results (in Fahrenheit):
- AridDek: 124
- Pressure Treated Pine: 124
- Ipe Brazilian Hardwood: 138
- Tan solid PVC: 145
- Grey Solid PVC: 151
- Grey Wood/Plastic Composite: 141
- Reddish/tan wood/plastic composite: 135
- Dark Brown capped composite: 151
Why is AridDek Aluminum Decking cooler than other dock decking options?
- Aluminum conducts heat better than any other decking surface. As a result, what heat it has managed to absorb dissipates faster. It is the same idea as cooking with aluminum foil. If you put a baked potato in a hot oven, yes, it gets but as soon as you open the door and let cool air in, the heat dissipates. That is why you can touch it without burning yourself.
- The lighter color finish reflects most of the sun’s rays, as a result, less heat is absorbed into the metal.
- The average mass of the Ariddek aluminum decking is lower than that of the other deck boards. This means it holds less heat.
But don’t take our word for it, Kevin Stevens at KMS Woodworks also did a temperature test in Colorado, check out his testing results!
Wahoo Decks offers a variety of aluminum products such as, AridDek, DryJoist, DryJoistEZ, and Wahoo Rail. Wahoo decking is a waterproof deck solution which creates a dry under deck area below. To learn more about Wahoo decking material visit www.wahoodecks.com. You can also contact us online or call us at 1 (877) 270-9387.
We Tested It: How Hot Decking Materials Get by Kevin Stevens